Is this ride hard enough for me? Is it too hard?
Mount Mitchell Tours:
CCT offers two versions of the Mount Mitchell Tour, the 3.0 and the 4.0. The 3.0 has a target summit time of 3 hours from the start at Hwy.80/70, while the 4.0 version has a target time of 4 hours. If you are aware of your FTP, the 3.0 ride is indicated for riders at 3.0 to 4.0 watts/kg. FTP, while the 4.0 ride is perfect for the 2.0 to 3.0 watt/kg. FTP rider. If you don’t know anything about FTP, no worries! The 4.0 tour rider should be able to maintain a 15-16 mph average speed for a typical 3 to 4 hour ride on rolling terrain. The 3.0 tour rider should be able to maintain a speed of 17 mph or more for a 3 to 4 hour ride.
Use an honest assessment to be able to make the most of your ride and to help the group stay on schedule. Rides in the team van for any portion of the ride are readily available, and all riders are encouraged to make use of all of the resources CCT has available when needed.
Silver Comet Tours:
The Silver Comet LT is our leisure tour. We’ll roll along the gentle terrain of the 26-mile course at about 10-13 mph, with plenty of stops along the way. Road or touring bicycles are recommended, but not required. Electric assist bikes are welcome.
The Silver Comet 6.0 is designed to be suited to a rider looking to roll at a 14 to 15 mph average speed along flat to gently rolling terrain. The goal for this ride is 6 hours or less of ride time for the 80-mile ride each day, not including lunch breaks and scenic stops. Road bicycles are required.
The Silver Comet 5.0 is designed for the rider looking for a 16 to 17 mph spin while moving along the gentle terrain. Ride time for the 80-mile route will be approximately 5 hours, not including lunches and breaks. Road bicycles are required.
You name it, we do it! Any distance, terrain, or speed and CCT will accommodate your group.
What do I need to bring?
- Suitable bicycle in good working order (mechanic pre-check advised); advise us if rental bike needed
- Comfortable cycling outfit/kit, including padded shorts, and jersey with pockets
- Cycling shoes
- Outerwear for cold or damp conditions
- Water bottles
- Cell Phone
- Any special personal items
Any or all items not being used by the rider can be carried in the team van and made available as needed.
- All items listed above under One-Day Tours
- Bathroom kit
- Change of clothes for an evening out
- Fresh cycling clothes for day two
- Other personal items for your overnight stay
What if I need to cancel?
Occasionally, the need may arise to postpone a tour due to weather, natural or unnatural disaster, or other unforeseen circumstances beyond our control. In these instances, our guidelines are as follows:
1) If the weather forecasts call for considerable precipitation during the tour duration and the chance of precipitation is 50% or greater, the tour will be deferred. This will occur no later than 48 hours prior to the tour commencement, but will likely occur several days in advance.
2) If a natural or unnatural disaster occurs at any point beyond the client signup and prior to or during the tour, the tour may be deferred or cancelled.
3) If a tour does not reach the minimum number of guests prior to 10 days before the tour commencement, the tour will be deferred.
4) If a tour is deferred, clients may choose to roll their reservation forward to a future tour for no additional charge, or cancel and receive a refund of their tour price, less a $50 reservation/transaction fee.
5) If a tour is cancelled by CCT, clients will receive a full refund of their tour price.
If a client is unable or unwilling to proceed with a tour after making a reservation, the following policy will prevail:
1) If a client wants to cancel a reservation prior to two weeks before commencement of a tour, clients will receive a 60% refund of the tour price, or roll a reservation forward to another tour for a $50 fee.
2) If a client wants to cancel a reservation within two weeks of the commencement of a tour, but greater than 48 hours from tour commencement, the client will be entitled to a 30% refund of the tour price, or roll a reservation forward to another CCT tour and receive a credit equal to 50% of the deferred tour price.
3) Within 48 hours of a tour commencement, no refunds are made due to client cancellation.
Will there be adequate stops?
Tours will have planned stops along the way, but guests than need further accommodations will be supported by CCT guides and drivers.